About this event
How is a truly gifted Coder (as in programmers, designers and developers) distinguished today?
For thousands of years, master artisans were honored with an insignia in recognition of their talent. A distinct object such as a pin or hat established their dominance in a field. “Coders”, as we define them here, have become the world’s newest artisans. Just as master builders were essential for the creation of a business 400 years ago, Coders are needed for everything from website creation to server maintenance and developing new in-house platforms.
Yet there is no identifying seal showcasing the quality of Coders, their rank amongst peers or even their trials and accomplishments.
Enter the MasterCard Masters of Code Competition. Through this intense series of hackathons we have one goal: to traverse the globe and engage the very best Coders. Each regional hackathon will have developers, designers and entrepreneurs using the MasterCard APIs to create masterful prototypes that demonstrate artful coding and design skills, while articulating clear business cases.
The competition will be intense and the tension high, but we are looking to create a different experience for our participants. Each event will be held in one of the most thriving tech communities worldwide – and at the best venues there. Winners from each region will be flown out for the Grand Finale Masters of Code Hackathon in Silicon Valley to experience a MasterCard Priceless Experience – Northern California. The final itself will be just like the regionals with up to ten teams from the region events and one MasterCard elite team of coders.
The winning team will be recognized as the first Masters of Code Champion and given their Masters of Code Jackets, $100,000 and many other perks.
Only the global winning team will be given this honor and privilege.
- Grand Prize
- Regional Winner
09:00 - Doors open to Attendees
09:30 - Breakfast of Champions
10:00 - API Talks
10:30 - Team & Idea Pitches
12:00 - Lunch
13:00 - CODING BEGINS and Breakout Sessions
18:00 - Dinner is Served
00:00 - Midnight Snack
CODE THROUGH THE NIGHT!
08:00 - Breakfast
12:00 - Lunch
13:00 - Hackathon Ends/Submission due on hackathon.io
14:00 - Demos Begin/Demos only/No slide decks (if your demo doesn't work, take us through the code-what you did and where you got stuck. It's about showing what you've learned and not about pitching an idea)
17:00 - Winners are announced/Prizathon!
17:30 - After Party!
Rules: Teams of up to 5 humans are allowed. You can also add 1 cyborg, Furby, drone, or Sphero. All team members must have completed the participatio...
- Teams of up to 5 humans are allowed. You can also add 1 cyborg, Furby, drone, or Sphero. All team members must have completed the participation agreement to compete.
- We all start coding at the same time. This is done to keep things fair. Please don't come in and build on top of previous projects if you want to win.
- You must demo your hack in order to present. No slide-decks or power-points will be allowed. 2 minute presentation 1 minute Q&A from Judges.
- Teams have full ownership of everything they build at our events and are free to do with it as they wish.
- Each hackathon has its individual hackathon.io page, which projects should be submitted on. Submission time is 1pm Sunday.
- Winning teams will be subject to a code-review at some point following the event or immediately before winning.
Judging Criteria: All judging will be done on Hackathon.io
Scores are out of 25 points for the following criteria:
Impact (5 Points)
Design (5 Points)
Creativity (5 Points)
Simplicity (5 Points)
Usage of MasterCard's APIs and Challenge (5 Points)